Let food be your medicine, and let medicine be your food – Hippocrates
The ancients knew the healing properties that natural food provides us. Hippocrates of course is referring to specific foods that enhance our well being just as they are naturally found from the earth.
It really amazes me how our society actually keeps functioning on a diet of fast food, processed products, and on the go style of eating. Like eating on our way into the office, while driving to our next appointment, standing in line waiting for our lattes, while watching TV or working on our laptops.
This only causes a greater disconnection to our bodies, inner selves and also to others. We grow more seperate from the intuitive knowing within, which guides us every moment of everyday- if we allow it! This is why physical disease, obesity, and disordered eating become the outcomes of all this imbalance.
It doesn’t have to be difficult or time consuming to eat healthier, and life sustaining food. Your body is your temple. Give it HIGH quality sustenance, and watch it flourish to greater and greater heights. We pay so much attention to what we put in our cars and how we maintain them, its crazy we don’t do the same for our BODIES!
Here are some quick, HEALTHY snacks that are perfect for eating on the go. These foods are NUTRIENT DENSE. This meaning they offer high quality calories because they are rich in many vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. All of which are needed to sustain growth, repair and efficient regeneration of cells.
1) Natural Trail Mix: one of the best snacks to take with you to work, gym or yoga! Throw together the following:
- Organic Oatmeal or Quinoa flakes
- Organic raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds
- organic raisins
- Goji berries if your budget permits
- hemp seeds
- dried apple
I also like to add CHIA seed, which is a very rich source of calcium, omega fats, minerals, and FIBER!
2) Brown Rice Cake Snack:
Take 2 brown rice cakes and spread organic hummous in between and pack it away in a baggie. Instant protein and carbs to go!
3) Raw Spelt Crackers ( can be found in most health food stores or online)
- Spread organic hummous or tahini on them and again put them in baggies with some celery and carrot sticks and instant power for the trip back home.
- OR you can spread them with almond butter, coconut butter, or cashew butter. The nut butters have good sources of fats, calcium, fiber, and protein
4) Quinoa Flakes- these make a great substitute to oatmeal. They have more protein and naturally gluten free!
- add raisins, cinnamon, almonds and even some hemp protein and you have a fully balanced meal
5) Easy SPELT Wrap- Spelt wraps are yummy alternatives to the wheat ones. Fill with:
- Avocado, sprouts, hemp seeds, veggies, and hummous- power packed ENERGY!
POWER FOODS: Don’t Leave home without them!
- Salmon, Tilapia, Sea Bass
- Flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds
- Kombucha ( fermented drink, assists digestion and boosts metabolism
- Sea Vegetables
- ALL Sprouts
- All Legumes
- ANCIENT GRAINS: Kamut, Quinoa, Millet, Spelt
I will leave you with my favourite RAW Veggie Salad. It is full of a variety of of nutrients and will encourage your body to remain in an ALKALINE STATE. I will speak more on Alkaline vs Acidic diets in my next blog- stay tuned ;)
Piera’s Over the Rainbow Raw Salad
Ingredients for Salad:
1 bunch of chopped kale
1 chopped Red and Yellow Bell Pepper
1 bunch of chopped spinach
1 large carrot
1 avocado sliced or diced
Sunflower sprouts -1-2 cups
2 tblsp hemp seeds
1 Red Onion
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add the following dressing and toss well!
3 tblsp of Virgin Olive Oil
Organic sea salt
1/4 tsp Rosemary dried or fresh
6 tblsp each of Lemon and Orange juice
1/4 tsp grated Ginger
Whisk all ingredients briskly for 3-5 minutes in small bowl. Add to salad. ENJOY!
Let me know more about what you eat to fuel your busy lifestyle!